Knife-wielding man killed in SW Arlington officer shooting

A 9-1-1 hangup call turned fatal when responding officers were charged by a man with a knife

  • Police responded to an officer-involved shooting Thursday afternoon in the 2100 block of Reverchon in SW Arlington (Photo: Zack Maxwell / Arlington Voice)
    Police responded to an officer-involved shooting Thursday afternoon in the 2100 block of Reverchon in SW Arlington (Photo: Zack Maxwell / Arlington Voice)
Zack Maxwell

A man is dead, and two Arlington police officers are “very lucky” to escape uninjured from an officer-involved shooting that unfolded in Southwest Arlington.

The police presence in the 2100 block of Reverchon Drive was heavy well into Thursday evening as investigators worked to sort out the details of what led to the fatal officer-involved shooting.

According to Lt. Christopher Cook with the Department’s media office, dispatch received a 9-1-1 hang-up call from a home on the street at approximately 3:15 p.m. Dispatch attempted to call back but did not receive a response.

Two male officers with the South Patrol Unit investigated the call shortly after 5 p.m. and made contact with a male individual at the door. Cook suggested there was communication issues between the officers and the individual in the home.

Officer's asked to enter the location for a welfare check and the man opened the door fully. As the first officer walked into the entryway, a second man identified as 38-year-old Hieu Tran appeared from behind a wall wielding a "large" knife and charged at the officer in an attempt to stab him. Cook said video shows he had his arm raised in a threatening manner.

“He was hiding behind a wall which made it seem like he was almost waiting for the officers to come in and catch them by surprise,” Cook said.

Both officers retreated back from the doorway, but Tran advanced, which caused the officers to discharge their weapons. He was struck multiple times and was taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.

“Anytime there’s an officer-involved shooting of this magnitude, there’s an extensive investigation,” Cook said. “We’re looking at the possibility that they may have been under the influence of narcotics, but only time will tell.

“We’re also very happy that we had body-worn camera footage. We were able to capture this incident in its entirety.”

The man who answered the door and a third man later discovered inside the home were detained are cooperating with police, Cood said. A translator was brought in to assist with communication, he added.

According to the Medical Examiner's report, Tran lived at the house where the shooting unfolded. His relation to the two other men is not known at this time.

The identities of the involved officers will be released as the investigation continues. As is routine in officer-involved shootings, both officers will be placed on administrative leave until the investigation has concluded.

Editor's note: This report has been updated with a more accurate account of what occurred as officer's entered the home.