Two firefighters, water employee injured after Central Arlington gas line erupts
Two firefighters and a City Water Utilities employee were injured while attempting to mitigate a gas leak Sunday evening
Two Arlington firefighters and a city employee are recovering in the hospital Sunday evening after working a call in which a gas line ignited.
First responders were called to the intersection of Ditto Avenue and Dugan Street in Central Arlington early Sunday evening where Arlington Water Utilities employees were repairing a water line leak.
According to Fire Department spokesperson Lt. Mike Joiner, as the workers cleared asphalt for excavation, an Atmos gas line was impacted. Both Atmos and the Fire Department were contacted.
Joiner said that as excess water was being pumped out so repairs to the gas line could begin, the gas ignited.
One water worker and two firefighters were injured in the accident. They were transported to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas for treatment.
One of the firefighters and the city worker were released from the hospital, but the other injured firefighter may stay for observation, Joiner said.
Firefighters are working with Atmos to mitigate the gas leak.
This article has been updated with new information.