Carroll Dragons outlast Arlington, 28-24, in regional playoff

The Colts watch their steady offense stymied by Southlake ball control and turnovers

Keven Costlow

FRISCO -- All season long, the high-powered Arlington High offense had no trouble going down the field and scoring points.

But Saturday night, the Arlington offense became spectators on the sideline, as the Southlake Carroll Dragons gave them a taste of their own medicine.

The Dragons (10-3) used several time-consuming drives to stop the Colts (10-3), 28-24, in a Class 6A, Division II regional semifinal Saturday night before an excited crowd at The Star in Frisco.

With the win, Carroll will take on Waco Midway at 6 p.m. next Saturday at McLane Stadium in Waco in the regional final.

The Dragons had the ball first and marched 75 yards in 10 plays to take an early lead. T.J. McDaniel, who rushed for 59 yards on the drive, crashed over from two yards out to hand Carroll a 7-0 lead with 7:42 left in the opening stanza.

Arlington answered midway through the second quarter as Kenland McCray sprinted 75 yards for the tying touchdown. Griffin Kell added the conversion to make it 7-7 with 6:09 left in the first quarter.

Carroll retook the lead with 3:37 left in the half when R.J. Mickens flagged down a D’Montae Davis pass and returned it 68 yards for a touchdown, making the score 14-7. That lead lasted a little over a minute, however, as the Colts evened the score on Davis’ 59-yard run that tied the game 14-14 at halftime.

Arlington opened the second half with a 79-yard, 12-play drive to take its first lead of the game. Davis again did the honors, scoring from a yard out to make it 21-14.

It took the Dragons just three plays to answer, as Will Bowers’ 57-yard pass to Preston Forney set up a 10-yard touchdown run by Tavian Gould to even matters at 21-21.

Griffin Kell put the Colts back in the lead with a 36-yard field goal with 2:02 left in the third quarter.  The Dragons then took the next four minutes off the clock with a nine-play, 75-yard drive that ended with Bowers hitting Carson White with a 2-yard touchdown pass to make it 28-24 with 10:22 left.

Two penalties derailed the next Colt drive, as Carroll took over 7:39 left. The Dragons took five more minutes off the clock before losing the ball on downs at the AHS 33 with 2:44 left.

Arlington managed to get as far as the Southlake 49 before losing the ball on downs with 1:10 left.

Davis led the Colts with 140 yards rushing and 128 more in the air, but suffered two interceptions. McCray gained 138 yards on 19 carries as the Colts outgained the Dragons, 410-345.